Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The best method I have found for setting up my python environment

I am running Scientific Linux 6 which comes with python version 2.6.6.  However, I really like using version 2.7.9 mainly because of all the compatible third party libraries associated with it.  Also, I prefer to use PyCharm - my favorite python IDE.

I have found that anaconda by Continuum Analytics to be the best python package manager and, after surfing the web, it seems I am not alone.  Using 'conda' to add additional packages is simple and for those new to python programming and third party modules or libraries, conda is well documented.  Also, conda installs to its own directory, so it does not interfere with your package python interpreter.


Once you have conda installed, install PyCharm.  PyCharm does not include a python interpreter (which is why you need conda or you can use the system default).  When you create a new project, tell PyCharm you want to use the anaconda interpreter (~/anaconda/bin/python).


That's it.  Post any questions to the comment portion and I will do my best to answer them if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment